This section will provide information on local events, both events specific to the trail and local events which may be of interest to visitors using the trail. We will provide basic information on each event and either links to download printable flyers, or links to the events website if available.
Adventure Travel Slide Show Series
Every winter the Peninsula Trails Coalition presents a series of slide shows featuring travel to exotic places, often including adventures in hiking, bicycling, or kayaking. Over the past decade the shows have visited almost every corner of the globe. Presenters are a mix of travel professionals and local folks with the skills and daring to explore the unusual. Currently the PTC offers 4 shows in January in Port Angeles and 8 shows in Feb – March in Sequim. The suggested donation is $5 (kids free) and supports volunteer work on the trail. Watch this page for our 2014 schedule.
January Port Angeles Adventure Travel Series: 7pm at the PA Senior Center, 7th and Peabody
- January 10: Elston Hill, “Adventures on Ice”
- January 17: John Wegmann, “Passage to Paradise: Sailing to French Polynesia”
- January 24: Hal Everett, “The World Underwater”
- January 31: Dow Lambert, “Photo-birding on the North Olympic Peninsula”
More information? Gunvor 452-8641 or Gail 808-4223
February/March Sequim Traveler’s Journal Series: 7pm at the Sequim High School Cafeteria**, N. Sequim Avenue
- February 6: Pam Perry, “Bhutan: Land of Gross National Happiness”
- February 13: Chris Jones, “Down the Mekong River–1200 Miles, 30 Days, 6 Countries, 25 Boats”
- February 20: Roye/Krill, “Polar Bears to Penguins: Sailing from Eastern Arctic to Alaska via Cape Horn/Antarctica”
- February 27: Jones/Shimlock, “Finding the Ultimate Reef: Our Journey”
- March 6: Hans C. Boenish, “Around the World on a Bonderman Scholarship”
- March 13: Dick Pattee, “Parting of the Waters–a 1600 Mile Hike along America’s Backbone”
- March 20: Feltham /Fi, “Cycling Vietnam”
- **March 27: Chet Rideout, “Bike Touring along the Inn and Danube Rivers–Innsbruck to Vienna” **at Sequim Middle School
More information? Dave 683-1734
The Tour de Lavender, a Peddle Power Weekend
The inaugural Tour de Lavender weekend was held on August 3 and 4, 2013. Events included 62 and 47 mile options from Kingston to Sequim, an Experience Lavender (in Sequim) 77 mile ride, a family fun ride (up to 35 miles), and an opportunity to ride up to the top of Hurricane Ridge on the annual Ride the Hurricane. For more information: 360-452-6300, http://tourdelavender.com/ and http://sequimlavenderfarms.org/.
Longest Day of Trails Event in Port Townsend
Longest Day of Trails
The 4th Annual Longest Day of Trails, a fundraiser for trail organizations in Jefferson County, including the Jefferson Trails Coalition which promotes the Olympic Discovery Trail on the Quimper Peninsula, was held on Sunday, June 23, 2013. The 2014 event will be announced in this space as event time approaches.
More information can be found at The Broken Spoke bicycle shop in Port Townsend: 360-379-1295 or Jeff Selby in Port Hadlock: 360-385-0995.
Results from the 2013 event can be found HERE
North Olympic Discovery Marathon
North Olympic Discovery Marathon on the ODT
The 11th annual North Olympic Discovery Marathon was held on the trail on June 2, 2013. This race has been termed the best boutique marathon in North America and draws runners from across the country and beyond.
The Marathon and Half-Marathon are run on a unique point-to-point course that incorporates the Olympic Discovery Trail – with stunning views of the Olympic Mountains and a five mile finishing stretch along the shores of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Dates for the next race will be noted here in the spring of 2014.
See the race website for details and registration.
NODM RACE LINK HERE
Olympic Adventure Trail Run 2013
The first OAT Run, in April and featuring the Adventure Route with half-marathon and 12K options, was a huge success. Race results can be accessed at:
Watch this space for updates on a 2014 event.
Events at the Audubon Center at Railroad Bridge Park in Sequim
The 2013 Dungeness River Festival was held held on Friday and Saturday, September 27 and 28, at Railroad Bridge Park, along the Olympic Discovery Trail, in Sequim. Although admission is free, donations are appreciated to support the Audubon River Center and the Park. Next year’s dates will appear on this page as they are released.