This section will provide information on local events, both events specific to the trail and local events which may be of interest to visitors using the trail. We will provide basic information on each event and either links to download printable flyers, or links to the events website if available.
Traveler’s Journal presents a SPECIAL GUEST SPEAKER:
May 23rd, 2013
Sequim High School Auditorium
Don’t miss this one-time opportunity to meet renowned
mountaineer and two-time summiter of Mt. Everest,
Ticket price is $10 for adults.
Kids 18 and under are welcome for free.
Longest Day of Trails Event in Port Townsend
The 4th Annual Longest Day of Trails, a fundraiser for trail organizations in Jefferson County, including the Jefferson Trails Coalition which promotes the Olympic Discovery Trail on the Quimper Peninsula, will be held this year on Sunday, June 23, 2013.
We are hosting the event differently this year. there will be a timed 10K running race in the morning and a 15 mile bike ride (not a race) in the afternoon. Both events will happen on the Larry Scott Trail. Please park at the Park & Ride at Haines and 12th (turn away from the water at the light near Safeway).
Sunday, June 23rd.
- Starts at 9 AM, from the PT Boatyard/start of the Larry Scott trail.
- Race entry for the run costs $20 for pre-registration. Register online by going to www.OlympicDiscoveryTrail.com. Make sure you click on the button confirming your acceptance of the waiver.
- $25 for day-of registration. Day of registration opens at 7:30 am.
- Runners, Walkers, Strollers welcome. Please line up at start line with runners in front, walkers next, and strollers in the back.
- This event will be timed.
- Prizes will be awarded.
15 mile bike ride (not race)
- Starts at 4:00 PM, from the PT Boatyard, the start of the Larry Scott Trail.
- The bike ride is free, if you’re wearing a helmet.
- All are welcome: tag-alongs, Chariots, youth on bikes, mountain or road bikes, Striders, etc.
- Ride the entire trail, or just a portion.
- Speed depends on group — we will split into smaller groups as needed.
Registration forms and more details can be found at Longest Day of Trails or call Nicole at The Broken Spoke bicycle shop in Port Townsend: 360-379-1295 or Jeff Selby in Port Hadlock: 360-385-0995.
North Olympic Discovery Marathon
The North Olympic Discovery Marathon is held on the trail in early June. The 11th annual race is set for Sunday, June 2, 2013. This race has been termed the best boutique marathon in North America and draws runners from across the country and beyond.
The Marathon and Half-Marathon are run on a unique point-to-point course that incorporates the Olympic Discovery Trail – with stunning views of the Olympic Mountains and a five mile finishing stretch along the shores of the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
See the race website for details and registration.
NODM RACE LINK HERE
Olympic Adventure Trail Run 2013
The first OAT Run, in April and featuring the Adventure Route with half-marathon and 12K options, was a huge success. Race results can be accessed at:
Watch this space for updates on a 2014 event.
Adventure Travel Slide Show Series
Every winter the Peninsula Trails Coalition presents a series of slide shows featuring travel to exotic places, often including adventures in hiking, bicycling, or kayaking. Over the past decade the shows have visited almost every corner of the globe. Presenters are a mix of travel professionals and local folks with the skills and daring to explore the unusual. Currently the PTC offers 4 shows in January in Port Angeles and 8 shows in Feb – March in Sequim. The suggested donation is $5 (kids free) and supports volunteer work on the trail. Watch this page for our 2014 schedule.
Events at the Audubon Center at Railroad Bridge Park in Sequim
The annual Dungeness River Festival is held each fall at Railroad Bridge Park in Sequim. Although admission is free, donations are appreciated to support the River Center and the Park. Watch this space for the 2013 event!